It's game day! That's right, Super Bowl Sunday is one of my favorite eating events. I love game day fare and while we are certainly going to be enjoying my regular favorites, I wanted something new this year. Guess who came to my recipe rescue again...none other than "The Genius". I told you that last post would come back to haunt me. We now refer to my husband as "The Genius". Well I don't but he can call himself whatever he wants, after all I'm the one who started it. Anyway, he suggested a take on Oysters Rockefeller. I gladly agreed.
After some thought and keeping with my belief that everything tastes better with cheese we decided on a buffalo blue cheese Oysters Rockefeller. Take a deep breath. Breathe! I know, it sounds overwhelming and it should because these little gems are heaven right here on earth. I kid you not. heaven. These will definitely be a part of my regular game day repertoire. Thank goodness there are still hockey game days left. I can't believe I just said that.
12 fresh oysters, shucked
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used corn flake breadcrumbs and highly recommend them if you can find them)
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1 tablespoon celery leaves, minced
1 teaspoon green onions, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. Shuck the oysters and save as much of the liquid as possible. Keep oysters on the largest of the half shells.
3. Place all of the ingredients except the oysters and blue cheese in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
4. Cover the oysters equally with the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Crumble about 1 teaspoon of blue cheese over the breadcrumbs of each oyster.
6. Place the oysters on a baking sheet trying to make sure that they stand upright.
7. Place the oysters in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes, depending on your oven until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
8. Serve with buffalo hot sauce and lemon wedges.