Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gnocchi Perogy


My husband is a sheer genius. But please, whatever you do don't tell him I said that. It's important to have some pull in any marriage and making such claims is not good for the cred. And while I know my dear husband doesn't read this on a regular basis, just watch, this will be the first post he's read in months and he'll never let me live this one down. I can see it now, "Remember when you said I was a genius? Geniuses do not take out the trash or do dishes, or pick up things from the grocery store. They simply don't. We are GENIUS-es." So let me retract before it's too late and here it goes, sometimes my husband comes up with really good ideas. Sometimes. Case in point, this gnocchi perogy.

The other night I was scraping for dinner ideas. I had a bunch of things on hand but a craving for none of them. What I wanted was perogies but my lazy a** and crampy hands haven't made any in a while and and with none in the freezer and no desire to make any, I was out of luck. Until...the "genius" piped up with a suggestion of an inside out perogy, of sorts. You see, I did have potato gnocchi in the freezer, I did have onions, bacon and sour cream. In other words, I did have the makings of a perogy and throwing all of these things together I did have one of the best meals ever. Seriously, I wanted to eat this for days and thought about it constantly. It was so good! So what became one of the smartest things my husband has ever come up with, also became one of my new favorite meals. And I still don't have to make perogies. Genius.

There's no real recipe here so here's what I did:
1. Crisp up a couple of pieces of bacon. Drain, allow to cool, crumble and set aside.
2. Slice 1 small onion thinly and saute in a skillet with a little butter over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until the onions are nicely golden brown. Meanwhile heat a large pot of boiling water.
3. Once the water is boiling add the gnocchi. Boil the gnocchi about 4-5 minutes or just until the gnocchi comes to the surface of the water. Remove immediately and strain.
4. Heat about 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the cooked gnocchi to the butter and saute the gnocchi until it's golden brown on both sides.
5. Serve the dish as followed: crispy golden gnocchi, sour cream, bacon and caramelized onions on top of the gnocchi.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin