Saturday, August 25, 2007

Green Onion Cakes


Growing up in Edmonton, I looked forward to the Fringe Festival every summer. It was a fantastic event full of plays and performers and the streets were lined with great food vendors. This is the very first place I tried green onion cakes and now that I think of it, it's also where my love affair with sambal chili sauce began because that's what this particular vendor served the cakes with.

I was thrilled a couple of years ago when I came across this recipe from Martin Yan of "Yan Can Cook" fame. I simplified and adjusted his recipe a bit because I tried both ways and the following way is easier and tasted more like the ones I used to get. I make these often, I love them so much and the wonderful flavour always brings back such good memories.

RECIPE:

Green Onion Cakes:
3-1/3 cups flour
1-1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup chopped green onion

Place flour in a bowl. Add boiling water, stirring with a fork until dough is evenly moistened. On a lightly floured board, knead dough until smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. After the dough has rested, place on a floured surface, put the green onions in the center of the dough and knead until onions have been incorporated. Divide dough into quarters and on a floured surface roll out the dough into circles about 1/4" thick. Heat oil to medium heat in a large pan and fry the cakes until lightly golden (about 3-4 mins.), flip and cook on the other side another 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan, quickly drain excess oil onto paper towels and cut into wedges. Serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBS rice vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili sauce (add more or less according to your taste)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin