Saturday, August 25, 2007

Homemade Plum Sauce


It's the small things that make me happy. My boyfriend is often amazed when I shower him with praise for surprising me with say, an unexpected orange crush or one of those trashy magazines I hate to admit I love. That's not to say I don't like the big things, far from it, I wouldn't want to give you the wrong idea about me here but the small touches in life are what can make or break things. It's the difference between serving your spring rolls with run of the mill jarred dipping sauce that anyone can buy or an all natural, fresh accompaniment and although the idea itself is small, the gesture is huge.

It has never occurred to me to make homemade plum sauce which is why when I saw a recipe for it, needless to say I was overjoyed. It's so fabulous, like nothing I've tasted before and your guests will be so impressed with the little extra effort. As usual, I modified the recipe to suit my taste buds so you can do the same. Have some fun with it, that's what life is all about!

RECIPE:
1lb Plums, pitted
1 TBS Rice Vinegar
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 TBS Sesame Oil
1 Garlic cloves, grated
1 TBS Ginger, grated
1/2 tsp Hot Pepper flakes
3 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Wash and dry the plums. Pit and place into a blender with the vinegars, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Puree for 2-3 minutes until smooth, then set aside. Heat the sesame oil in a small frying pan and add the hot pepper flakes, saute for 30 seconds over medium heat. Pour the plum puree into the frying pan, add the sugar and salt, bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat allow to cool and refrigerate.

Use cold as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, lettuce wraps, chicken fingers etc. This would also be a great glaze for pork or chicken.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin