Sunday, July 22, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuits



I had a whole southern thing going the other night. I was making fried chicken so I figured I would try making biscuits for the first time. As you may know I am always a little intimidated where baking is concerned so you can imagine this time was no different. This is a recipe from Tyler Florence who has a great show, Tyler's Ultimate, on the Food Network and I felt fairly comfortable in trying it out because I have always had success in using his other recipes.

These biscuits call for buttermilk which I had leftover from my fried chicken and I was excited to bake with it as I have heard great things regarding the overall flavour when using buttermilk. I must say thanks once again to Tyler Florence and to all those buttermilk enthusiasts out there because these were by far the best biscuits I've ever had. They were so light and fluffy and just turned out perfectly. I can't wait to make these for breakfast drizzled with a little maple syrup and served alongside sausages and eggs, Superb!

RECIPE:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, very cold
3/4 cup buttermilk

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and baking soda. Cut in butter either using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center, add the buttermilk and mix lightly with your hands just until a ball is formed. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and fold the dough over itself 3 or four times to make layers. Roll the dough out to approximately 3/4" thick. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter or the top of a glass and make a dimple in the center to help them rise evenly. Gather scraps together and re-roll and cut.
Put on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin