Sunday, July 22, 2007

Adzuki Bean and Quinoa Salad


Call this the summer of salads, I just seem to be crazy for them this year. Don't ask me why but if you really need an explanation I would say it probably comes from a place of boredom and craving something new and different, everything pertaining to my actions usually does. So, wouldn't you know, another salad, this one was particularly fun though because I stumped my boyfriend. He usually knows what to expect regarding the nature of my dishes but this one was completely different from anything I've ever made.

While he was eating this salad I could see him thinking about it, trying to dissect the combination of flavours, totally interested and enthralled in what was going on in his mouth. He kept asking questions about it all day long and going back to the fridge to taste it again. I was fascinated witnessing this because the same thing happened to me. I thought, this is so unbelievably tasty, I couldn't quite grasp it, the flavours came together so perfectly. It was almost like unexpectedly meeting a person who is so captivating you just can't wait for more.

RECIPE:
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked adzuki beans
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped coarsely
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup carrots, sliced thinly
1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 cup broccoli, blanched
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup sesame oil
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1 TBS chili sauce, such as sambal
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly mix together. Let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin