Sunday, May 30, 2010

Southern Fried Catfish


I had never had catfish before so I was excited to come across it at the fish monger the other day. Seeing as how this was my first experience with it I figured something simple was in order so I could get the true flavour of the fish which turned out to be mild and sweet. After a little google action it was clear to me that although blackened is a popular choice, for my first time Southern fried was the way to go.

After trying this recipe it was no wonder why there are about a million recipes for Southern fried catfish. They are all pretty much the same so I thought who better to listen to than Southern home girl herself, Paula Deen. She had me at Old Bay. Here is her recipe for a quick, simple and delicious fried catfish.

Recipe:
4 catfish fillets (6 oz each)
Old Bay seasoning
salt
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
oil for frying, such as peanut, grapeseed or vegetable

Directions:
1. Heat a fryer or a deep pot halfway filled with oil to 350 degrees.
2. Sprinkle both sides of each catfish with salt and old bay seasoning.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and the cornmeal. Dredge the catfish in the flour mixture and place in fryer. Deep fry for approximately 7 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin