Saturday, November 28, 2009

Oyster Po' Boy Sandwich


My Husband has travelled extensively across the globe but me, not so much. There are many places I want to visit and not surprisingly I yearn for those places primarily because of the food. A few examples are of course Spain, France and Italy but a little closer to home, one day we plan on eating our way across the Southern United States. While I can't wait for real Texas BBQ and Mississippi Mud Pie, I long for Louisiana. Oh ya baby, creole and cajun cooking have a special place in my heart.

Now let's just be clear, I am the furthest you can get from being Southern so before I get into trouble from any of you locals I must say that this is my take on the Po' Boy Sandwich so please don't send me any hate mail about oh, I dunno, putting pickles on the sandwich or something like that. I do know for sure that the bun on a po' boy is of utmost importance. You'll want it to be crusty on the outside and light and airy on the inside. From there, the possibilities are pretty broad; shrimp, softshell crab, catfish, crawfish or in this case, oyster. No matter which filling you choose I can assure you that this is a delicious sandwich. Like you needed any convincing. So, until that glorious day when I find myself in New Orleans, my version of the po' boy will certainly suffice.

Recipe:
1 foot long crusty roll, cut in half
8 freshly shucked oysters
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon creole seasoning
2 eggs
2 teaspoons hot sauce
mayonnaise
pickles, sliced thinly (I prefer bread and butter pickles)
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
oil for frying such as peanut, grapeseed or vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Beat the eggs and hot sauce together.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the all purpose flour, corn meal and creole seasoning.
3. Preheat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy bottomed deep skillet or dutch oven to a temperature of 375 degrees.
4. Dip the oyster in the egg mixture followed by the flour mixture and place the oysters one at a time in the hot oil. Make sure you don't crowd the pan, you may have to fry the oysters in batches.
5. Fry the oysters for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Once they are browned, flip the oysters and fry another 3 minutes or again, until golden brown. Remove the oysters from the oil and drain on paper towel.
6. Slather the bread with a good amount of mayonnaise. Place shredded lettuce on the bottom of the bun, followed by tomato slices, pickles and then the oysters.

3 comments:

cookinglady.bell5@gmail.com said...

well you have that right to put those pickles on there and the sandwich looks really good. You'll have a lot of fun when you do get to visit New Orleans and the food is to die for.

joaniebaby said...

Hi Madeline! Just stumbled upon your awesome blog, and i love it :)

I am making your cheesy mac and cheese from your feb. 2008 post, and i have to say yum! My hubby will surely love it for dinner. I'll tell you how he liked it, thanks for a great recipe!

Madeline said...

Thank you The Cooking Lady, I was worried I was going to get in trouble with this one!

Thank you so much Joaniebaby! I'm so happy you like the blog :) Please do let me know how you and your hubby liked the mac and cheese. I love that recipe.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin