Friday, November 20, 2009

Lamb Curry


Finally a conclusion to our delicious Indian dinner, lamb curry. I know many of you may not be fans of lamb and I completely understand. Lamb can be done wrong in so many ways with the outcome being dry and tasteless. If you've sworn off lamb I hope you reconsider and start with this recipe. This lamb curry is foolproof and ensures tender and succulent lamb. The reason for this is the long cooking time. Just like a beef stew, the longer you cook it, the more tender the meat will be so as long as you have a little time you really can't go wrong.

Curries in all of their forms are one of my favorite dishes. I often make a vegetarian version with chickpeas and vegetable stock in place of the beef broth but I really enjoy this lamb curry. Served with basmati or jasmine rice, it's a very comforting dish. So whether you go for lamb, beef, chickpeas or chicken, just go for it, I promise you will love it. And there you go, a perfect ending to our Indian inspired meal.

Recipe:
1 lb lamb shank, cut into 2" pieces
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, add more to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
Alternately, to save time you can simply use 2 tablespoons premade curry powder + 1 teaspoon garam masala.


1. In a large dutch oven, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the lamb pieces to the hot oil and brown on all sides.
2. Remove the browned lamb and add the onions to the same pan. Saute onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add the garlic to the sauteed onions and cook the onions and garlic another 3-4 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn't brown.
4. Add all of the spices to the onion mixture, stir to combine and saute for about 5 minutes or until the spices become fragrant.
5. Add the lamb to the onion mixture along with the beef stock and bay leaf. Bring the curry to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer the curry for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the lamb becomes very tender. Remove the bay leaf and serve over rice.

4 comments:

chow and chatter said...

this looks awesome love lamb curry i have on my blog as well, nice blog came over from twitter!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'm popping over to wish y'all a Happy Thanksgiving.
I hope you turkey browns and your sweet potato souffle fluffs.

We Are Not Martha said...

I refused to eat lamb as a kid, but once I had it, I couldn't turn back! I love lamb in an Indian curry too!!

Sues

Madeline said...

Thanks Chow and Chatter. Glad you found me!

Thanks Sandi :)

I'm with you Sues, it did take me a little while to come around but now I really enjoy it.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin