Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Vegetable Garden


I was kind of thrown into this whole cooking thing. Circumstances placed me working at home for a while and I pretty much found myself learning how to cook out of necessity. Seriously, five years ago I could barely boil water. But here I am after many, many disastrous results in the kitchen and cooking is my absolute passion (people seem to like it too!). So I thought, the whole learning how to cook thing went pretty well, why not take on a new challenge? And so I'm venturing into another area of unexpertise, wanna be gardener.

When my husband and I were looking to buy our new house one of the most important things to us was the yard. We wanted enough space to be able to plant a large vegetable garden. Well, we did find our dream home and after some yard planning, we were able to plant a very good sized vegetable garden.

Our goal this year is to become more self sufficient. Growing as much of our own food as is possible and hopefully having enough in the fall to can a bunch of things for the winter. This is quite an ambitious venture on our part considering neither of us know what we're doing. I decided to chronicle this journey on my newest blog, Suburban Hoe. I decided not to chronicle my gardening stories here on Adaptations because I would rather keep this more about recipes. But I thought Suburban Hoe would be a fun place to share our success and struggles in the garden and considering it's all about food, I thought you might enjoy it too. And yes, that is Ome directing me in the garden. She's 85 and she kicked my a**. I could barely walk for 2 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! I toyed with the same idea this year but procrastinated too long. Looks like a have a new blog to subscribe to!

Madeline said...

Thanks Greg! It's so much fun. I hope you enjoy it! Please do let me know what you think.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin