Thursday, July 5, 2007

Classic Caesar Salad


I have always been a bit apprehensive of the whole raw egg thing therefore I had never attempted to make my own Caesar salad dressing. There are some alright store bought dressings out there but nothing can compare to making it yourself. I was feeling a bit adventurous and up for a challenge so I figured I'd throw caution to the wind and just go for it, why not?

I must admit I was scared about pulling off a successful emulsification, afterall this was my first time and every recipe I looked at made it sound a lot harder than it really is. That is probably the most important thing to stress, don't because it's not hard. With that in mind just get yourself some nice fresh eggs, preferably organic and if you don't already have a mortar and pestle go and treat yourself to one. They are a wonderful tool to have in your kitchen and you can get one for a very reasonable price. Voila, you are on your way to the best Caesar salad you have ever tasted.

RECIPE:

Dressing:
2 cloves garlic
3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and roughly chopped
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
splash balsamic vinegar
3 TBS lemon juice
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

In mortar and pestle mash garlic, anchovies and salt and pepper until they make a paste. Whisk in mustard, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Add egg yolks and whisk all ingredients together. Whisking continuously, add olive oil in a slow steady stream. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

In a large bowl toss romaine lettuce with dressing. Garnish with bacon bits, grated parmesan cheese and croutons.

Adding grilled chicken or shrimp would also be delicious.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin