Monday, July 2, 2007

Chickpea and Shrimp Salad


With all my complaining about the lack of summer days this year had to offer, the sun decided to shine with a vengeance. It was hot the other day, really hot and I was craving a new refreshing salad. Having my preferred recipes for coleslaw and potato salad already down, I needed something totally different so I thought of the leftover grilled corn I had in the fridge and began experimenting. I once made these black bean burgers with lime, cilantro and corn, they were so good I figured they might be a good inspiration. My taste buds led the way from there and after countless taste tests we were in pretty good shape. A great salad for a scorching hot day and there's nothing better than healthy and delicious.

RECIPE:
1/2 LB grilled shrimp (optional)
1 can chickpeas
1 can black beans
1 cup grilled corn
3/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 lime
2 TBS olive oil
1/8 cup chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
s&p

Grill corn on the cob, remove from grill and let cool. Once corn is cooled carefully cut kernels from the cob. In a large bowl mix together all ingredients. Gently mix until all ingredients are combined. Cover and place mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin