Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fish Taco with Cabbage Slaw


Growing up, taco night in my house was a rare treat. My parents were big on eating healthy and somehow fried ground beef layered with cheese and sour cream all in a deep fried shell didn't quite fit the bill. So when the occasional interactive evening rolled around, needless to say I couldn't have been happier. Keep in mind I grew up in Canada in the 80's and the only tacos we knew were of the Old El Paso sort. Granted the tacos I'm referring to here are far from what I grew up eating. Today we're going for something a little lighter. I find myself loving all kinds of tacos and I will always be loyal to the old ground beef faithful but my new favorite is the Grilled Fish Taco with Cabbage Slaw. So unbelievably refreshing and healthy, you can't go wrong with these on a hot summer day. Even my parents would approve.

RECIPE:

Fish:
1/2 lb snapper
1 tsp chili powder
pinch garlic powder
pinch ground cumin
pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp olive oil

Whisk all ingredients together and marinade the fish for no longer than 15 minutes. Preheat your grill to med-high heat. Remove the fish from marinade and place on grill. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on one side, flip and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the fish from the grill, let cool and flake with a fork.

Cabbage Slaw:
1 ripe avocados, mashed
2 tsp sour cream
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1/8 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 of 1 large green cabbage, shredded
1 small green onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp jalapeno pepper, finely diced
S&P to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until needed.

Serve these tacos on flour tortillas by layering the fish followed by the cabbage slaw guacamole and finished off with black beans (optional.)

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin