Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chinese Style Lemon Chicken


Time to lighten thins up around here. Me and my lemons, well me and lemons are total B.F.F.‘s. You know, best friends forever. The lemon has never let me down and is always there for me whether it be when I need a lemon tart, lemonade or in this case lemon chicken. I love lemons. In fact I love them so much I even planted a lemon seed, which I have tended to lovingly since it’s first sprout. It has grown into a pretty little plant which I hope will turn into a tree and subsequently in 12-15 years I will actually have a lemon, fingers crossed. I’ll let you know. So, it’s Spring, my favorite season. It’s beautiful, it doesn’t get dark at 4:30pm anymore and if nature decides it’s time to lighten up, I say I will happily follow suit. This lemon chicken screams Spring. It’s light, bright and refreshingly easy. I love my lemons like I love my Spring-always and forever.

Recipe:

1 lb chicken, cut into 1" cubes (I used boneless skinless chicken thighs)

1 egg white

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:


1/3 cup lemon juice

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon minced ginger

4 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons sugar

Directions:

1. Combine all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

2. Combine chicken, cornstarch, egg white and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.

3. Heat a large wok or saucepan to medium high heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken in a single layer in the hot oil making sure you don’t crowd the pan. You may have to work in batches. Once you have placed the chicken in the pan cook on one side without touching the chicken for 2-3 minutes, flip the chicken and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.

4. Add the sauce ingredients to the wok, increase heat to high and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the simmering sauce and simmer 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is reheated.



Serves 4.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cheers to your recipe… I am also a complete lover of the tangy taste of lemon and I am sure this dish will make a permannet place in my list of favorites.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin