Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Haluski


Well, I may have spoken too soon about my husbands obsession with saying "smelt" because I've recently come across my own little obsession, a little diddy called Haluski. I don't know why but I love saying this word so much I even made up a song about it. I'll spare you all of the lyrics but it essentially goes a little something like this, "haluski, haluski, lalalalala, haluski" prolific, I know. But seriously I can't stop singing it and I am driving my husband and quite frankly myself absolutely crazy. The reason I can't stop singing it is because haluski is so delicious that it has not only evoked a happy food dance but has forced me into all out song. It is that good.

Not familiar with this Eastern European new lover of mine? Let me introduce you. Haluski is basically bacon, cabbage, onions, butter and egg noodles. Sounds good just like that, right? Wait it gets better. The cabbage and onions are sauteed in butter and bacon fat for long enough that they become golden brown sweet caramelized goodness. This dish is by far a new Johnson family favorite. Now if only I could get that song out of my head.

Recipe:
4 large thick cut bacon slices
1 large white onion, diced
4 cups green cabbage roughly chopped in apr. 1/4" slices
1/4 cup butter
4 tablespoons bacon fat
8 ounces wide German egg noodles

Directions:
1. Cook bacon over low-medium heat in a large skillet or dutch oven. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towel. If necessary drain some bacon fat from the pan reserving about 4 tablespoons.
2. Melt the butter in the skillet and add the cabbage and onion. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low-medium, cover and saute 20-30 minutes or until the cabbage mixture has reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and saute an additional 30 minutes or until the cabbage and onions are golden brown.
3. Roughly chop the bacon and return it to the cabbage mixture, stir to combine and heat the bacon through. Reduce the heat to low and reserve until the egg noodles are cooked.
4. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles and toss them with the cabbage mixture. Stir to combine thoroughly and serve hot.

Serves 2.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin