Friday, April 3, 2009

Porcupine Meatballs


I was always excited as a kid when it was Porcupine Meatball night. This was a favorite in our household so my Mom made them often. My Mom liked to make them because they are so easy to make, can be prepared ahead of time and taste even better the next day. They are also extremely versatile, you can simmer them on the stovetop, place them in the oven or cook them in a crockpot. I make Porcupine Meatballs often as well because my kid (husband) loves them too. I'm totally joking about the kid thing. Although he was watching cartoons last night so, ya know. Anyway, Porcupine Meatballs are pretty simple, they're essentially meatballs with rice in tomato sauce. I wouldn't exactly say there's a real 'wow' factor here but they are delicious and everyone likes them, whether they want to admit it or not. When I made them last night I thought they would be great on a hoagie bun. Versatility at it's finest.

Recipe:
1 lb ground beef
1 cup cooked white rice
2 cans tomato soup
1 cup water
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons worcestershire
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Saute onion and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. In a large bowl combine beef, rice, egg, onion and garlic, parsley, worcestershire and salt and pepper. I find using my hands to combine the mixture works best but you can mix thoroughly with a fork too. Using your hands, roll the mixture into 1 1/2 " balls. Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the surface of the pan with oil. Place the meatballs into the hot pan. Brown the meatballs on all sides. Remove from heat and drain the meatballs on paper towel. Here you have three options:
1. place the meatballs, tomato soup and water in a casserole dish, cover and place in preheated 400 degree F oven. Cook in the oven for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Return the meatballs, tomato sauce and water to the saucepan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
3. Place the meatballs, tomato sauce and water in a crockpot. Cook on high heat for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.

4 comments:

We Are Not Martha said...

Mmmm those sound fabulous. I never think to put rice in my meatballs, but what a good idea! And I lovee the name :)

Sues

Anonymous said...

My mom makes these too...but hers contains "meatloaf mix", meaning pork/beef/veal rather than just pork. If cooked in a pressure cooker, the rice pokes out of the meatballs, which is how they got the name "porcupines".

Anonymous said...

Ooops, that should read "...rather than just BEEF". Sorry, didn't catch that till it was too late!

Madeline said...

Thanks Sues! They were perfect to make the other night because I had a bunch of leftover rice. As usual ;)

Hi Anon, That's a great suggestion. Sometimes I do 50/50 pork and beef but veal would be great! I didn't know that about how they got their name. Thanks for the info!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin