Monday, April 27, 2009

Homemade Bavarian Mustard



I was so excited when I came across this post from Choosy Beggars on homemade mustard. I had never thought of making my own mustard and if you knew how much we love mustard around here, you would understand my enthusiasm. As far as I'm concerned, a good or bad mustard can make or break anything sausage, vinaigrette or sandwich related, which are all staples in our house. I usually at any given time have about six jars of various mustards in my fridge but that's all about to change with this little revelation! The hardest part about making this mustard is waiting 24 hours, the easiest thing is, well, everything else. Who knew homemade mustard could be so simple? I doubt I'll ever buy mustard again, the difference is incomparable and the possibilities are endless. This Bavarian mustard is a little spicy, a little sweet and just plain good. I absolutely love the spice combination in the mustard and hello, beer! I am officially on mustard mania. Guess what everyone is getting for prezzies this year!

Recipe from Choosy Beggars:
1/2 cup yellow or white mustard seeds
1/3 cup brown mustard seeds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 tsp dry tarragon
salt to taste
1 cup Bavarian ale, such as Helles, Busch or Lowenbrau
1/2 cup cider vinegar

In a non reactive glass or ceramic bowl, mix together all of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. After the mixture has been left for 24 hours, scoop the mixture into a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency. If you prefer a more grainy mustard, pulse less, if you prefer a wetter mustard, add a little more beer or vinegar.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or continue on to a proper canning process for long term storage.

Makes about 2 cups

4 comments:

Admin said...

I've made homemade mustard using a similar recipe. The only difference is that recipe calls for white wine instead of beer. I'm interested in trying this one. Thanks for sharing, Madeline. I agree; mustard can make or break your sandwich or whatever food you put it in.

Madeline said...

Mmmm Leela, white wine is a great option. Traditional dijon is made with white wine. What else do you put in your mustard?

Choosy Beggar Tina said...

Leela, how absolutely delighted are we that you tried our recipe for mustard? Oh, and even MORE SO that you liked it! Woot! I absolutely share your mustard mania. We just got back from France, and in Dijon the Maille factory store has three types of mustard ON TAP. Seriously. If they could have put just one more tap beside it that had red wine they would have had to physically throw me out.

Choosy Beggar Tina said...

Oops!! Sorry, I meant MADELAINE! There you have official proof that my brain is the size of a chicken's.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin