Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Applesauce


In a Continuation of, "I never knew you could make this at home," applesauce is at the top of that list. I'm serious, I had no idea people made applesauce at home! What's so impressive to me about making all of these things yourself is that you don't have to worry about any unnecessary preservatives creeping into your diet. I am also personally rewarded every time I make something like this that is so simple, natural and most importantly, delicious.




RECIPE:
3lbs apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1" chunks
juice of one lemon
1 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick or a pinch of ground cinnamon)
sugar to taste (I generally don't add any sugar because I like it a little tart)

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium simmer. Simmer the mixture for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash the apples down with a fork throughout the cooking process. The applesauce is ready when all of the water is absorbed. At this point add the sugar (if you are using) and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat, remove the cinnamon stick and allow to cool. If you prefer the sauce less chunky, mash it with a potato masher. This applesauce freezes very well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of apples did you use?

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

thanks for the recipe, i think i'm going to try this soon!

Madeline said...

Hi Kate, I get an organic produce box delivered every week and the apples are always different so I just use what I have on hand. Most often fuji or gala apples. Other good options would be golden delicious or for a more tart applesauce, granny smith.

Let me know if you do try it Hannah :)

Chris said...

Sounds like a great use for our CSA box apples. :)

Madeline said...

Hi Chris, applesauce is perfect for using up all of those apples! That's exactly what I do and just freeze a bunch.

Liesl said...

I love applesauce! I have always wanted to make my own...good to know if freezes well. I will have to give it a try!

Madeline said...

Hi Liesl, I always have some on hand in the freezer. I love applesauce too!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin