Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Southern Peach Cobbler


I've gone and done it again...I am not one to be trusted at any farmer's market. I could literally spend our life savings on local food, fruit and vegetables in particular. So it was no surprise that I had way too many peaches on hand given my "eyes are bigger than my stomach" syndrome. Well that, and my lack of self control. So poor, poor me and my waistline just had to make a dessert. I adore Southern cuisine. I really can't wait for the day when I can visit the South and eat to my hearts content. Until then, I channeled my wanna be Southerner this weekend and made Peach Cobbler.

The good news is that I didn't begin our meal with fried chicken and mac and cheese. Although I wanted to. The bad news is that I'll certainly have to up my exercise routine because this Peach Cobbler is so good that I could eat the whole thing by myself. And would that be so bad? It is mostly peaches after all, besides the delicious cake-like biscuit topping but that doesn't count, right? That's what I thought.

RECIPE adapted from All Recipes:
8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into 1" chunks
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup boiling water (you may have to add a couple extra teaspoons of water to achieve a smooth biscuit like consistency)

MIX TOGETHER:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a sucker for any type of cobbler, but peach in particular. I'm headed to a local orchard this weekend and plan to pick up peaches and apples. My waistline will have to take one for the team, too :-)

Lo said...

OOoh. Yum.
Waistlines be damned. This looks fabulous! :)

Madeline said...

I'm so with you both, wasitlines be damned!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin