Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Asparagus Soup


The weather is finally warming up around here. When things start heating up I crave something fresh, bright and sweet. This Asparagus soup from Jamie at Home is the perfect way to welcome the sun back into your life. I really try to cook with seasonal and local ingredients as much as possible. Given that one of my favorite vegetables is asparagus, I'm delighted around these times when it finally comes into season.

I had never thought of making asparagus soup before. However, when I saw the photo in Jamie's book, I knew I had to try it. Jamie's way of serving this soup is with toast and a poached egg. Well, I tried to poach an egg once for eggs benedict and it was such a disaster that I swore off poaching an egg EVER again. I regret my decision every time I see the beautiful photo in his book because it looks so good. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another shot but for now, I'll enjoy this asparagus soup with a few croutons.

I have loved every single recipe I've tried thus far from the Jamie at Home cookbook, including this soup. It is so fantastic. Simple, refreshing and perfect for Spring.

RECIPE courtesy of Jamie at Home:
1 3/4 lbs Asparagus, woody stems removed
olive oil
2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
2 quarts good quality chicken or vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Roughly chop the asparagus stalks, setting the tips aside. Heat oil to medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions, celery and leeks and saute for about 10 minutes or until soft. Add the chopped asparagus stalks and stock, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and using either an immersion blender or regular blender*, puree the soup (*if using a regular blender, make sure to allow the soup to cool before pureeing and blend in batches.)Season the soup with salt and pepper according to taste. Return the soup to the stove, add the asparagus tips, bring back to a boil and simmer a few more minutes, until the tips have softened slightly. Serve the soup with a few drizzles of good quality olive oil.

2 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

That soup looks gorgeous, I love the colour. I really want to get this book of Jamie's...

Madeline said...

Thanks Laura!

I really encourage you to get this book. I love everything about it; the feel, the photos and of course, the recipes!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin