Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Caprese Ravioli



Homemade pasta is a totally new thing for me and I could not be more thrilled about it. Okay, I should point out that I didn't make a well on my counter and slowly mix the eggs into flour, followed by 20 minutes of kneading. In fact, until I get a food processor and a pasta machine, I can't imagine I'll ever be doing that. This is a recipe I came across while watching Giada de Laurentiis on the Food Network and I suppose you could call it cheat pasta.

If you're skeptical about the dough, I totally understand, I had low expectations for the recipe myself. Believe me when I tell you I couldn't have been more wrong. These ravioli are surprisingly excellent. Since learning the recipe only last week I've filled them with, gorgonzola and walnut, beet and goat cheese and the sausage I've included here. Yes, I have had these three times in one week and the week's not over yet.

RECIPE:

Filling:
1/2 cup sausage, cooked and drained
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 TBS parsley, chopped finely
1 egg white

Mix all ingredients together and set aside.

Dough:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup very hot water
egg wash

In a large bowl combine the flour and the water. Using a wooden spoon, stir to combine until a large ball forms. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes. To form the ravioli, cut the dough into 4 even sized pieces. The dough should be slightly sticky. Add extra flour as necessary for rolling, but use only as little as necessary. Roll each piece out as thin as possible without tearing the dough. Place 1/2 a tsp of filling onto the dough spaced an inch apart. Once the dough is full of filling brush the spaces between the filling with egg wash. Place one of the other pieces of dough on top and with your fingers, gently press the dough down and around between each of the spaces. You should now have a bunch of ravioli squares. With a very sharp knife or a pizza cutter (I used a shot glass as a cutter to make rounds) cut out the squares. Using the tines of a fork, press gently along each side of the ravioli. Place the finished ravioli on a baking tray and continue forming the remaining ravioli. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add half the ravioli and cook until they float, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 4 minutes. Drain with a slotted spoon and place the ravioli onto a large plate. Cook the remaining ravioli. Warm your favorite sauce and toss the ravioli to reheat right before serving. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin