Saturday, October 13, 2007

Salmon Cakes


Since I have so much salmon on my hands these days I have had to be creative in an attempt to avoid being redundant. Salmon cakes are perfect for this because you can make them so many different ways and serve them with a variety of dipping sauces. I usually end up making these with leftover salmon that i've roasted in the oven or grilled. However, I must confess, I once made them with canned salmon and I'm happy to tell you they also turned out great.

You can be adventurous here, substituting the parsley for say, cilantro or dill. I like to serve these with tartar sauce but my boyfriend prefers them with this blueberry sauce I always make with salmon. I'll make that soon and post it, it's so good.

RECIPE:

Salmon Cakes:
3 cups flaked salmon
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup red pepper, diced finely
1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
1/8 cup green onions, chopped finely
1 TBS lemon zest
1 TBS lemon juice
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS dijon mustard
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 TBS tabasco
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove from the fridge and form the mixture into cakes (whatever size you prefer.) Heat oil to medium heat in a large pan and place the cakes into the pan. Fry on one side for about 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully flip the salmon cakes and fry on the other side for the same amount of time. Remove the cakes from the pan and transfer to a wire rack lined with paper towel. Serve with dipping sauce.

Tartar Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pickle relish
1 TBS lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin