Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Gyoza Queen


I suppose I should begin with a confession...we have eaten these 3 days this week so far and it's not due to a lack of food in the fridge. We were having friends over for dinner last week and they love Asian cuisine so I thought I'd try my hand at making gyoza. It was my first time making them from scratch and I don't usually try out first timers on company but these are our best friends so if things didn't work out we could have always ordered pizza. I was using wonton wrappers instead of gyoza wrappers so I wasn't sure if that was going to be problematic. I also opted to use ground chicken insead of the traditional pork so I suppose you can say there's nothing really authentic about these at all. None of these details will matter to you though after just one bite, which will probably be followed by about 20 more.

Even though this was my first time making gyoza, I really lucked out because they could not have been easier to make. Next time I'm making them for company I will prepare the filling the night before, make the gyoza the morning of and just fry them up as needed. Our dinner guests were so thrilled with the delicious dumplings, the serving platter was empty in seconds, which brings me to a very important point....make lots! I must confess, I'm already planning on making these again next week, I just can't help myself, I'm officially hooked.

RECIPE:

Gyoza:
wonton or gyoza wrappers
1/2 lb ground chicken or pork
1 egg white
2 TBS soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 TBS fresh ginger, grated
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 scallions, finely diced
3/4 cup boiled green cabbage

In large bowl combine all ingredients, mix well. Place a spoonful of meat mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Dip fingertips in water and wet the edge of wrapper, fold over and seal closed. Use a fork to gently press down on the edges of the dumpling. Continue until all of the meat mixture is used. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Brown dumplings in oil on one side. When bottoms are brown and crispy, add enough water to fill pan halfway. Cover pan and steam over medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes, until dumplings are cooked through. Serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soya sauce or tamari
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS hot chili sauce such as Sambal

Makes about 40 dumlings.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin